Volume discrepancy between rim and head

When triggering a VST instrument in Ableton from a snare with a mesh head, the volume difference/ registered velocity between the head and the rim is (not surprisingly) huge. Anyone got any good ideas about how to fix this? Obviously I could just sample things and change the volumes, but I’m wondering if there is a work around so that I can trigger VST instruments and synths, without having to sample everything I ever want to use.

Hi charlesthedrummer,

There shouldn’t be a discrepancy between the mesh-head and rim of the drum - even though the head is mesh, the sensor is ideally positioned to get a clean, even signal between the two zones. This is most likely a sensor positioning problem: if the sensor is angled up too high it will get a weaker signal from the head.

But it could also be something with the VSTs you are using or some other issue that I haven’t thought of. Feel free to write to us at support@sunhou.se - a picture or two of your sensor position would be helpful and so would a short video of the issue showing the VST you are using and the meter of the DAW as you strike the center and then the rim of the drum.

Thanks,
Steven