Can V2 sensors be used with RIMS Style Tom Mounts?

I would like to use the V2 sensors on rack toms, where the rack toms are mounted to the kit via RIMS style floating drum mounts. These mounts are really common on acoustic drums, and allow the drum to naturally vibrate when struck.

Will the increased vibration of the drum, when mounted with this style of mount, interfere with the operation of the V2 sensor (due to the increased vibration of the shell, compared to a more traditional drum mount)?

Hi @Dude1 do you have a link or photo to this kind up setup? Generally speaking, having more vibrational isolation between drums is a good thing. But I want to make sure I fully understand what you’re describing before giving a definitive answer.

Most acoustic drums nowadays have the toms mounted on a floating rim device, so that the drum can vibrate when struck, and not be choked by a stiff mount.

This is one example of this concept. Most large drum manufacturers do something similar:

Since the drum vibrates when struck, I am wondering if it would affect the V2 sensor.

@Dude1
The sensors won’t be able to fit where the rims are because the sensors need to be able to latch onto the bottom of the top hoop, and the rims will be in the way. That being said, you can place the sensors on the side. where the rim is no longer covering the hoop.

For the vibration part, when you train a sensor, It will memorize that specific region which was created from the combination of you/ your sticks / the head / the hoops / the shell. The rims don’t make a positive or negative impact as they are part of what created the sound the sensor memorized.

If you have never used Sensory Percussion, you can imagine it like this:

You train the sensor to understand how YOU play. You have to show it what you consider being the center of the drum, what you consider is the edge, what you consider is a hoop hit, etc.

It remembers that information, and when you play those regions again, it understands where you are.

There will only be confusion if you are irregular in your playing, if something vibrates in the same way as an other region or makes an other region vibrate (cross talk). All of this can be calibrated while training and in the settings. It is important to train well and to be consistant in your sound.

hope this helps.