Delay Between Pad Strike and Hearing Sound

Hello,

I am a new user. Sorry for this newbie question.

The time between striking my (mesh) pad and hearing the sound is delayed by maybe 512ms (1\2 second). What are some things I can look at to fix this?

I am using a Scarlett 2i2 with one sensor. Using a Roland PDX-100 pad. I am running Windows 10. It is a newer system with plenty of power. It is not a laptop.

Thanks,

Michael

In a word: Latency

My Audio Buffer is 256 samples.

Thanks.

Hi Michael, welcome to the forum!

There are some strategies for dealing with latency on this page here: http://help.sunhou.se/troubleshooting/latency.html

What you’re hearing is definitely abnormal. Does the latency happen with different samples? You want to make sure that there is no blank space at the beginning of your sample. Do you just have one sensor? Does it happen on other channels?

So you have the sensor mounted onto the PDX100? Would you mind sending a picture of what that looks like? I haven’t actually seen one of those, so I’d just want to make sure that it’s mounting correctly.

Are you running off of some kind of tablet? What kind of processor does your computer have? 256 samples is definitely on the upper limit for latency. We usually recommend 128 for a good feel (or 64 if you have a fast computer). But in any event 256 should be faster than what you are describing.

Let me know how it goes!

Thanks for the suggestion. Very excited about this new tech!

I have been using electronic drums since the first one (Synare Star Synth [used in StarWars etc), Simmons, Zendrum … to now with the latest Roland high end kits. Attached is an image of sensor attachment. Had more images but got message that new users can only send 1 image.

Maybe the Scarlett 2i2 sample rate is not fast enough. Only offers 256 and 512.

Thanks,

Michael

Dedicated PC. I use it for gaming and music (Bitwig etc.). It has been more than adequate for DAWs and gaming etc.

Processor: AMD FX-6300 Six-Core Processor
Only 8gb RAM but not running anything else.

I should also mention I have been using the 90’s sample snares that come with your product where the attack of the sound wave is immediate, i.e. no delay or space that I can see.

Checked the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 specs. It looks like it is a good current piece of hardware. My software driver is up-to-date too. Not sure why only 256 is showing as the best rate.

I might not be talking apples-and-apples here but if 256 is a direct corresponding attribute to how many milliseconds of latency there is 256ms is an eternity. I think my Roland TD-30 comes in at 25-50ms delay.

The specs for the Scarlett 2i2 look good. Sweetwater told me you guys used the 4i model in your live demo there.

The actual sample rate of the 2i shows as 192kHz.

I’m just thinking out loud with you guys. In a way this is a proof of concept on your product for me. If I can get it fully functional I’d invest in a dedicated system for it.

Thanks again,

Michael

This image might help:

Hi Michael,

In the “Audio Device Type” dropdown, do you see an option for ASIO?

I think the issue is that you do not have the correct driver selected. You should be able to go down to 64 or at least 128 samples buffer size. This should give a good latency response. Though, since you say you are hearing a half second delay on 256 sample buffer size, I think there may be some other issue going on.

Is your Scarlett the first or second gen variety? Each has its own windows driver. You can take a look at this page for some more help from Focusrite.

https://global.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2+first+gen

Let me know if that helps.

That fixed most of the latency problem. Thanks!

Thanks for the link. My hardware (1st gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2) and corresponding driver seem to only support (with ASIO set) Audio Buffer size 512 samples. I think that is the reason for the minor latency at this point

Thanks for your very responsive help. I used my existing hardware to test your product to see if it could be practical in what I do. I think it can! My next step is to invest in a more up-to-date Focusrite or equivilent to be able to go down to 64. Which ones have you been recommending lately?

Thanks again. Very excited!

Hi Michael,

Glad you were able to get it working. As far as interfaces – the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 is a very solid interface with good latency, and it’s not too expensive.

Let us know how it goes!

Best,

Tenoch