Filter an incoming MIDI device to specific notes

Hi,

Can you please outline what you’re trying to do exactly with the external HH pedal? Based on your session and your inputs, it looks like you’re using it as both a sensor input (“hh” is set to snare2) and a MIDI input. If you’re able to send different midi notes from different zones via the DTX12 (i.e. closed = C1, open = C#1, pedal = D1, etc.) then I would suggest only using it as a MIDI input, and deleting the sensor input you’ve created for the HH.

If you just want to play those 3 samples using those 3 different zones from your external HH pedal without re-pitching, then you don’t need any note controllers. How you have it set up now, you’re hearing them all layered/transposed because that’s the default behavior of the sampler: if you have an active MIDI input playing a sampler, it will automatically re-pitch the sample it holds according to the incoming MIDI note values.

I’ve attached an .sp2 file with one set that has those same 3 samples, but set up so they are only played by the notes C1, C#1, and D1, respectively (and won’t be re-pitched/layered). I did this by creating an assignment on the play button of each sampler, setting the source to midi1, and then hitting “learn” while I played that note. If your HH is sending different notes (other than C1, C#1, D1), just redo this “learn” process while playing the 3 different zones.

Let me know if this works for you, or if it’s not exactly what you were trying to accomplish. There are usually multiple ways to do stuff like this; it just depends on your personal setup and preferences. For example, you could also use the DTX as an analog input, routing its audio into SP and processing it alongside the sounds being played by your sensors.

1 Like