Hardware input gain bug

So running into an issue with this latest beta download where my input signal to the sensnors is really weak and so the software doesn’t detect my playing. It works fine in 2.18. I’m using UAD apollo x have changed nothing in regards to my settings and running M1 pro 13.6.1 ventura.

Also noticed that the SP VST versoin w ableton the inputs are not longer working there either. So the new beta software in stand alone and VST do not read my hardware inputs or the signal looks ridiculously low and works fine in version 2.18.

Hi @ORBKA - interesting. Can you try to just boost the gain knob on your interface?

yes did that but it messes with the dynamics doesn’t feel right…works great in SP 2.18 with no gain added from interface.

The new beta also has a new “input gain” slider on the training page. This is in addition to the “output gain” slider on the bottom of the training page. Can you try adjusting the input gain slider there to see if that helps?

If this is still not working, probably best to move this to a support channel (start a chat on the website or email support@sunhou.se)

1 Like

yup tried that had to really jack up the input gain!

Can you send us your current inputs? File > “Save Inputs as…”. This will make a .spi that you can send to support@sunhou.se.

Then, I’d recommend that you delete your hardware inputs and try retraining your drums and let me know if that fixes it for you.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hey @ORBKA

This beta update has some massive changes to the hit detection and sensor–>velocity transformation algorithms. It should overall be a lot more sensitive and dynamic. And it should feel pretty different. In the previous version, the volume curve was less dynamic, with less of a difference between quiet and loud. The new version feels much more natural to us and is more akin to playing an actual drum, but is probably less familiar to people used to playing midi pads and such.

We are still tweaking the default though and we want to make it close to how it felt before if you’re loading a previously trained drum. So (dear Beta tester), if you wouldn’t mind experimenting a bit and letting us know what you had to tweak to get it feeling right for you?

Things to try:

• adjust the input gain so that you can comfortably detect your hits and get the threshold where its working well.
  • adjust the output gain so that you getting the right volume activation on your hits.
  • try some different curve shapes if you feel like the dynamics are not right for you.
    Somthing like this might feel closer to how it used to be.
    Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.35.37 PM

We want to get some feedback from Beta users so we can have more data to tune the defaults.

Thanks!

1 Like

yes i have been messing with all of these parameters but i have go really jack up the input gain to het signal above the lowest threshold…seems funky…could this have something to do with the fact that I’m using old hardware sensors? Also, maybe the update was specific to the roland interface that comes with the sensors however, I’m using UAD apollo x8.

thanks happy to test as much as possible lol

yes so 2.18 everything works perfect! I did manage to get the beta to work by adjusting the input gain and input velocity…feels like it made one of the sensors distorted…could this be because I’m using the older hardware sensors? with the new beta release in VST mode in the ableton template nothing works can’t get any of the hardware inputs to be seen by the VST software inside of ableton. It was working great in 2.18 beta11. Now none of the the bus inputs seem to pick up the sensors.

I am using a unique set up by using two rack apollo interfaces…Im using the first one to record all the drum mics (8 inputs) and the 2nd as the inputs for the 4 sensors (4 inputs +48v).

Hm kinda sound like something else is going on unrelated to the update. Can you make sure your pickup element is in place still? Maybe check the cable?

You can try the public release version which is on 2.1.8 and see if it still works as expected. But what you’re describing sounds extreme in a way that points to something hardware related.