Interface latency for live performance

Hi,
I want to buy a set of sensory triggers. I want to mix live drums with artificial drums.
I figured the best interface for that would be an 8 input interface. I have seen the Behringer umc 1820. Do any of you have any experience with it? I am only interested in the latency specs.
Would the latency be low enough to be able to perform live on stage?

If not, could you recommend any other interfaces (new or old)?

Thanks in advance

Hi!
I am using the UMC 1820 without any trouble.
The moment you hit the drum (with SP trigger of course) you hear the sound.
Before using the Behringer I used an Arturia Audiofuse - I can‘t feel a latency difference.
(Just switched to the UMC because of the number of triggers I am using now…)

2 Likes

thanx very much for the answer

hi guys,
what’s the best (i mean the latency-less) audio interface on the market?
i use an m-audio m-track eight that is good, but despite i have the buffering of the ableton audio engine setted at 64 ms i still feel some small delay (mainly in the fastest patterns).

has anyone found a very good set up to minimize the overall latency?
thanx

I recently tested latencies on the Evans Portal and on the Apogee Element 88, which connects via thunderbolt.
I expected the thunderbolt to be faster, and to my surprise this is not the case at all.
I ran the test several times to be absolutely sure.

Here is a photo showing the measured latencies of two sound cards and different settings, for comparison there is also a measured latency from a Syntakt triggered by midi through Nord Drum 3p pads. One of the tracks shows one-fourth of a second, just for context.

My reasoning is that the latency is created by the software’s analysis of the strokes before triggering the samples, because there isn’t even that much difference when changing the buffer size.
I’m obsessed with latency, but I’d like to stress that I don’t think Sensory Percussion’s latency is something problematic, it’s really small.

Best, :slight_smile:
Artur

1 Like

The dream has always been to do something rudimental on an electric drum… I would be interested to see how the latency compares between SP2 native, SP2 beta in Ableton, and Streaming options, across the different interfaces with mesh or regular heads using samples with no start silence vs using vsts. I wonder WHY the portal was faster but I’m glad to hear it is.

I’m going to experiment with creating my own streamer with Ableton… Midi via IAC out of SP2, Audio routed via UA console virtual channels.