New MacBooks with Apple M1 chip

Hi Sunhouse team,

have you had a chance to test the Sensory software on the recently released MacBooks with the Apple M1 chip? If yes, what’s your experience?

Many thanks!

hi @pavol.dzavan, Apple had a dev kit for their chip but we weren’t able to get our hands on it. But we’re looking to get a mini this fall and will start testing.

However, it will take some time to fully optimize Sensory Percussion for the M1. We will have to change some pretty deep things to take advantage of what the chip has to offer. But it’s on our radar! Hopefully Apple is right that the computer will still be fast on unoptimized apps.

Regarding Big Sur and new OSes, I’d always recommend waiting a bit before updating. We tested with an earlier beta and didn’t find any issues, but we’re updating today and will have an official announcement soon on support.

Thanks!

Hi @tenoch
Do you have any update about the compatibility of the M1 macs?
I couldn’t find any update regarding the m1 macs.
Thank you and all the best!

Hi @Nadav, we tested Sensory Percussion with a M1 Mac Mini and it works great. There are some more optimizations we can do (which we will get to), but it’s very speedy in its current state.

Hope that helps – let me know if I can answer anything else.

Hey, I don’t have an M1 silicon mac yet but am considering upgrading to one from my trusty old 2012 macbook pro. I’ve only really scratched the surface regarding researching software compatability with the M1.

But from what I gather, there’s now two versions of Ableton 11. An intel version and a silicon version. And according to this article:

Running the Apple Silicon-native version of Ableton Live, plug-ins work as follows:

Apple Silicon-native VST3, VST2, Audio Unit plug-ins: These load normally – and updated versions here will maximize the performance you can squeeze out of your M1, of course.

Intel-only Audio Unit plug-ins: Live 11.1 will display and load these plug-ins. Barring any other compatibility issues, they should work as if they were native. That’s a macOS feature, not an Ableton feature – more on that below.

Intel-only VST2 and VST3 plug-ins: These are not compatible with the Apple Silicon-native Live 11.1, and they won’t load. They’ll be hidden from view in the Browser, so you won’t even get the chance to load them in the first place.

So it sounds like if you have a M1 chip silicon mac then you can either choose to run the ableton intel version (using the rosetta 2 encoder) so that you can run all your plugins as normal and is supposedly pretty quick. Or you can run the ableton silicon version which is presumably much faster but run the risk of some of your VST plug ins not working.

Out of interest, is the current Sensory Percussion VST an intel-only plug in?

Hey all, we’re working on a solution for this. More info soon. In the meantime, if you need to load SP as a plugin in Ableton 11, you’ll need to use the Rosetta version of Ableton.

Thanks for your patience with this.

Best,