OSX: Need ability to Install software & Samples to secondary HD

First off, I want to congratulate you on a great product. I’m still working out the kinks but it looks like it’s going to be a great addition to my studio!

I’m a Mac user, currently running High Sierra. When I first installed the software, I was disappointed to discover that it was not possible to install the app or keep the sample library hosted on an external or secondary (non OS) hard drive. A lot of people run small SSD’s for our OS disk, with a secondary (much larger) drive for sample packs and sounds. Some people even keep an external USB hard drive for samples if they need to be portable.

Logic implemented this feature in a recent update, and Ableton has been able to do this for a while. I would go so far as to say that this is a pretty standard recording setup!

As it is, I don’t have a lot of wiggle room for new apps on my main OSX drive, and I will not be able to try all of your awesome sample packs while keeping a safe amount of space available on my main disk.

Buying a new SSD and porting over your whole system install can be a fraught process, not to mention expensive.

Please add this feature if you can! I think it would help a lot of people, especially those who keep enormous sample libraries and wish to host them on all the same drive!

2 Likes

Hi,

I don’t know if you ever resolved this…

This guide will solve your issue. It’s basically the NEW way of creating an ailias to an external drive. Its called a “SymbolicLink”. I copied the entire “Sunhouse” folder from within application support to the external drive, then deleted the original.

Thanks so much! I will try this out!