Routing, Macros and Submixes Questions

Hi!

I’ve got a few questions about the routing in SPv2.

1. Is there a way to understand exactly how the routing with effects and macros takes place in the presets? I’m trying to get a better idea of how to replicate certain effects, but when I create an identical fx chain, I get different results. I’m probably missing something, so I’m wondering if there’s a clear way to see exactly what’s happening.

2. I’m creating submixes within a preset to allow me to record onto multiple tracks when recording into Logic - I’ve got one submix for each drum, as well as an additional “fx” submix with everything else. Before creating the submixes, the preset functions as normal, with the mod and reverb macros working fine.
    However, after creating a submix for the fx, one of the macros seems to be permanently on, even after I hit the “reset fx” macro. I tried muting each of the fx in turn to see what was causing it, but I was unable to figure it out. As soon as I remove the fx submix, the macros go back to normal. Is there something I’m missing here?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @rrv24!

The presets generally follow this format:

The top level (play page) macros are hooked up to their layer-level counterparts below in the edit page. “Delay,” “disto,” “reverb,” “mods,” and “ny comp” are hooked up to audio bus sends:

(“Squash” is hooked up to extreme parameters on layer level compressors).

Most of the time – in the presets – these top level macros are not controlled by a virtual input assignment (timbre, velocity, speed, etc), but in a small percentage of the sets, they are. Could that be what is happening in your 2nd question? If so, would you let me know which set it is? I think in most cases we’ll want to move away from controlling these standardized macros with virtual input assignments, and so I’m looking into refactoring the small number of sets that do this – they’ll still have the interesting cross-control that that technique allows for, but the assignment will happen on a different, non-standard macro type.

You can see what is controlling a macro by right clicking on it and selecting “edit assignments.” In most cases you’ll see that it is controlled by just the “reset FX” button and potentially some other top level button (“huge verb” is common, for example).

CleanShot 2023-12-01 at 14.37.11

Another possibility is that there is a bug in the specific set. There’s a chance that I left an audiobus send unassigned or perhaps one of the audio buses is accidentally set to “pre” mode, which could cause the behavior you are describing.

Best,
Stevenz

1 Like