Sending MIDI notes with SP plugin

Hi,
I don’t understand how to send midi notes from SP plugin to any virtual instrument inside ableton: I mean the plugin assign a default midi note for every pad (just like the stand alone SP software) but when I hit any pad using the plugin no midi information are apparently generated. Is that true?

Hi!

Thanks for the question. It reminded me that the manual article was missing that information.

You can select the input of a MIDI channel to be “SP Plugin” and then “SensoryPercussionPlugin” as the channel input. Then you should be good to go.

We updated the manual article to include that info with a short gif, as well, here. (At the bottom of the article).

Let me know if you have any other questions about setting that up.

Best,
Stevenz

Yes, it works,
Thnx!

1 Like

Hello,
in the same way, how can I do to use a controller (speed, velocity …) to control an autofilter or a beat repeat … ?
thank you for your feedback
Max

1 Like

Hi maxime,
I think it’s the same process: once you have routed the MIDI signal the way stevenz has described, all the MIDI outputs coming from the SP plug in will be effective on the other midi channels.

Hi Massimo,
nope, I mean mapping the controller to the frequency :frowning:

Yes: if midi is working just command+m to midi map into ableton, click on the frequency knob, then click on the sp plugin’s cc controller moving the knob a little bit and that’s it.

Doesn’t work for me… work fine if you learn an external midi controller but not with SS controller :frowning:

Maxime, You have to route MIDI from the Sensory Percussion plugin to a virtual MIDI bus first (I’m using IAC on a mac) and then you can use the typical midi mapping approach.

There might be another way but this has been working great for me. I just leave the empty midi track on my template that routes SP MIDI to the IAC bus just for internal mapping like this.

2 Likes

Hey mason, thank you very much for answering me, it works great, it’s been a while since I try to find the solution and reading you I said to myself “of course”. I also want to congratulate you greatly for all the tutorials you do. Sincerely
Best
Maxime

1 Like

Hey there
In my case, “SP Plugin” is not there as an option in input nor output of MIDI channels. What did I miss?
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-21 um 15.30.24|256x141 .

Hi there @jonspachtli,

It looks like you want to select “1-SensoryPercussionPlugin.” I think I may have named the channels slightly different names in the Live 9 version of the template.

1 Like

Hi friends
Still can’t get it working. I’m using SP Plugin in ableton. Set up IAC Bus and SP midi output channel (SP input, IAC out*), midi mapping mode, select parameter, then wiggle CC knob in SP, but nothing happens. But it works with any external midi controller.

When I put Max Api CtrlMIDIcc on the SP midi output channel then using the mapping function of the device, as soon as I choose the knob I want to control (f.e. a send A) it disables itself (bright grey, can’t move it anymore at all). ctrl n° is matched to the one in SP.

I’m suspecting something in my preferences or “over all set up” because @Mason:
When I’m using your Template “SP Live Clip Automation” (GREAT tutorials btw thanks!) your already-setup virtual CCs don’t work either. f.e. the trap hat stays on 8th notes all the time, no matter how much the assigned CC in SP moves. Although I can see the assignment in the list, it’s there, but doesn’t react.

Anyone has an idea what I’m missing?
Note: Could be something simple, I’m quite the midi and ableton noob. :slight_smile:

ableton midi preferences: track & remote are on, in and out.

Love the exchange and help here, really motivating and inspiring!

*what do I need to consider when choosing midi output channel? / difference between 1 and 5? Is this dependent of the channel of the CC knob in SP Plugin?

ok, writing down problems always helps. problem solved: I forgot to arm the midi main channel.
The Max Api CtrlMIDIcc however still does that deactivation thing - which is as I realized now, exactly what it’s supposed to do. all fine.

Hope my solo online contemplation here is still helpful for some of you. always arm your channels.

Sorry this slipped by me but I’m glad you got it worked out!