Understanding Velocity Curve

Hello everyone!

The drummer in my band recently got this software and we’re extremely excited to dive into it. We will be triggering his kick and snare (only using the closed option for the kick and the center, rimshot and sidestick for the snare). I have 5 velocities for the snare with 4 different hits for each velocity. I believe we have everything set up correctly with each kit piece trained, threshold set etc. but I’m not familiar with how the velocity curve works. I’m very familiar with using Slate Trigger 2 where you have to just put the line above what you DON’T want to be triggered, but I don’t quite understand how to set up the “curved/diagonal” shape so that his softest hits only trigger the softest hits, medium hits only trigger medium hits etc. If you all could show me how to set up the curve for each velocity that would be greatly appreciated, because currently, a fly could land on his snare and trigger the hardest hit LOL.

Hope this wasn’t too confusing and thank you all in advance for any advice you can provide!

Hi @Jorge,

I threw together a quick template for you here:
5-Velo-Acoustic-Template.sps.zip (5.9 KB)

So where I think you’re running into trouble is that you’ll need five different samplers per zone: each set to “random” or “cycle” and without overlapping velocity I/Os.

So that’s what the template is: 5 samplers (set to random) per zone, each with a 10 or 20 percent velocity range:

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 1.16.02 PM
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 1.16.12 PM
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 1.18.41 PM
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 1.18.50 PM
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 1.19.03 PM

This template was made by holding down Shift and dragging the velocity I/O curve for 5 samplers, and then copying each of the 5 samplers to every zone. Holding down shift allows for very precise dragging on the velocity i/o panel.

So if your drummer only trains Center, Rimshot Center, and Cross Stick, then all you’ll need to do is drag the 4 hits per velocity into each of the 5 samplers per zone. But if they train more zones, then you’ll additionally have to assign zones to other zones, so that you don’t have any blank pad assignments.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
stevenz

Yeah, I had made 5 different samplers for each velocity and dragged in the 4 hits for each one, but I wasn’t sure how to set the “curve”, so to speak. Those images you provided look perfect! I will definitely be trying that out when we get together this weekend and will come back if any other problems come up. Thank you so much, stevenz!

1 Like