Using a bass drum flat

Hey guys,

I haven’t got my first sensory percussion sensor but soon i’ll have one.

Wanna know if there are any limit to the size of drum to have all the 10 zones working. Wanna use a bass drum in a flat way and would be nice to have all zones working as on a smaller drum. Is that possibile? Are there any of you that tried out in this way?

Thanks,

Michele

Hi Michele,

Interesting question! Since Sensory Percussion is following the natural timbres of the drum, it responds better to drums with greater timbral ranges. In general, that means drums with tight heads that provide good control. That means that a large kick drum might not get the same timbral response as, say, a 14" snare.

The other thing to consider is that it might be tricky to do rim shots on the kick drum because of the height of the hoop. Two of the standard zones are rim shots.

That being said, you should be able to get pretty good response if the kick drum head is tight. You should be able to get 6-8 zones pretty reliably. Not sure about 10, though.

Hope that helps!

Tenoch

Thanks!

And if i’m gonna beat the drum with hands…? i think there will be no problems…right?

You can certainly use your hands, but keep in mind that you’ll get even less timbral control that way. So I would not expect to get that many zones on a bass drum with your hands. For example, two of the zones are Rim Tip and Rim Shoulder – those zones are dependant on the sticks. But you should try it out and see how it goes!

Best,

Tenoch