Track accurate MIDI in Logic Pro X to recall and edit your performance

Hey everyone!

I’ve been having a blast figuring SP out and unlocking the power of this software. It’s so incredible you get such a deep modulation matrix similar to softsynths like Serum, but now for drums! A dream come true for drummers and synthgeeks!

Anyway! As much as I love the live aspect, I would love to accurately track my MIDI and edit my performance before committing to audio, if that makes sense. I do this a lot with my Moog and Prophet, where I play a part while tracking MIDI out, capturing all parameters, smoothing out any little mistakes, and then retracking the audio by sending MIDI out to the synth and capturing that audio. Since Sensory Percussion both sends and receives MIDI, this should be possible, yeah? I followed all the steps in the MIDI routing videos, plus this other Logic thread - but it doesn’t seem work for me yet. It captures 10% of the notes, and no MIDI data regarding the controller parameters (timbre/speed/velocity)…

Am I missing something? I’m routing everything to the IAC bus, have midi channels set up to 1-16, all record enabled, auto-demix on, all pads routed to their default channels, but no luck whatsoever… and I’m not even getting to sending this back to the SP app to capture the audio, haha!

Thanks so much in advance!

Hey Joris, did you ever get an answer for this topic? I’m new to this and the forum. I have been doing audio professionally for a very long time, and I’ve been using MIDI for many years and have controlled other DAW’s, synth’s, outboard effects, hell even tape machines! I’m also struggling with this. I’m starting to think that the only way would be to sit and build controllers for every note and parameter, which is cumbersome to say the least. I keep thinking there must be something I’m missing, but maybe it’s just not capable of that? I’m also kind of clumsy in Ableton (I use PT) but I have watched lots of tut’s and tried many different routing scenarios.

Hey guys, great questions here. In principle, Sensory Percussion does not use MIDI internally. We have robust features to let you send MIDI out of SP and receive MIDI in. But no matter how detailed you try to design a system to record and resend MIDI to capture your playing, you will be losing data from your performance.

What the SP algorithm is doing is analyzing the analog audio stream coming out of your sensors to determine what part of the drum you’re hitting, etc. So if you wanted to truly capture your performance, and edit it later, you would need to capture that raw audio stream from your sensors and then re-run it through the algorithms.

This is possible by using the Ableton VST plugin. We have a blog post about this process outlined on the blog. But it only works in Ableton, because only Ableton is capable of loading SP as a full plugin (we’ve tried with all the other DAWs). Just keep in mind that your edits won’t be instantaneous – you need to run the performance back through SP in real-time.

Check that out here and let me know if you have any questions: SP 1.7: the new VST Plugin for Ableton is a game changer